Quantcast

Living With Congenital Heart Defects by Ben's Friends

ASD/Septal Defects - Aortic and Vessel Defects - Single Ventricle Defects - Tetrology of Fallot - Transposition of the Great Arteries - Valve Defects

Living With Congenital Heart Defects

Help! - Having trouble after PFO closure

Hi everyone, our new member, @SDruse221, has been having quite a bit of trouble after having her PFO closure completed recently. I am describing her symptoms below- would love to hear from you all on this!

About a day or two after her procedure, she noticed that her resting and walking heart rate was significantly higher. She also mentioned that she often felt palpitations. She also seems to have had a few EKGs done at those times that were sinus rhythm or sinus tachycardia with PACs, PJCs, and PVCs. Now she’s on metoprolol and eliquis in addition to plavix, and is feeling pretty bummed out because of it. She is really wondering if others have had similar experiences, and if they were able to come off the medications after.

Would greatly appreciate you all chiming in!

Thank you,
Arjuna

@SDruse221 Hi there I had my ASD closure in 2019 a week after the procedure I noticed my heart felt as if it was coming out of my chest when I attempted to stand up or made slightest changes in position.I ignored it for the first two days but it progressively got worse - running about 150-160 at rest - I went back to my cardiologist office and after an EKG I was admitted to ED and stay in observing for tachycardia ( there was a doctor who was concerned for a PE the scans were negative thank goodness!). These “episodes” of elevated heart rate Resolved on their own - I think that after some IV hydration and rest - I was sent home 3 days after .We discussed blood pressure meds however I Have low blood pleasure and there was a concern for Worsening hypotension and after careful monitoring and gradual activity I was back to normal .I was told by my doctor that this was not a typical reaction To the procedure and they where not sure what was the cause possibly due to inflammation? I was placed on Plavix initially and after 3 months started baby aspirin . It seems difficult at the beginning to assimilate all the changes and medications however they can be helpful and as time goes by things can progress enough to come off medications.

1 Like

Thank you for your post Ana (@Yviarihs). I am so glad to hear that your tachycardia episodes resolved quickly, it must have been a scare. What kinds of difficulties did you have with Plavix? Seems like the side effects are rougher for some people, judging from the past posts in this community.

I also see that you are a relatively new member to our site. I figured you and @SDruse221 may be interested in some past posts that are of some relevance :

-Arjuna

Thank you for your reply… I’m glad you got past your issues. The tachycardia is scary and physically tiring, although the metoprolol has that under control now. We tried to lower the dose the other day and I felt good for 2 days and then all of a sudden the palpitations returned, so now it’s back to the original dose. The problem with metoprolol is that it saps your energy. Trying to do even light exercise is pulling teeth. I would love to be done with it. The doctor sent me a Zio patch monitor to wear and now I’m waiting to hear about the findings from that, which I suspect won’t be much because I was already on the metoprolol when I started using it.

I also have intermittent pains in my chest, which was to be expected… my procedure was a little over 3 weeks ago so I hope that it’s just a matter of adjustment. From what I’ve read, the experiences that people have with this are very diverse. Some seem to be totally unremarkable and some people go through absolute hell. I’m praying that I don’t have to regret having done this. I was a very physically active person before this and that’s what I want to continue to be.

Soledad Druse